Our Smart Vents faceplates are paintable. We have a number of customers who have wanted to change the color of their faceplates and painted them using the instructions below.
Our Smart Vent faceplate is powder-coated steel. The faceplate can easily be taken off, painted, and set back onto the unit. Unlike plastic vents, our metal vents and powder coating provide great adhesion for typical painting processes.
Here are some hints we've shared with customers on how to paint our faceplates.
- To ensure that a new coat of paint adheres to the Smart Vent faceplate, we recommend lightly sanding the surface with 60-grit followed by 180-grit sandpaper.
- Make sure you wipe off all the sanding dust
- To test adhesion, apply a primer coat to a very small area on the Smart Vent faceplate. Be sure to use a primer meant for steel.
- Wait 20-30 minutes for that primer coat to surface-dry. Then, lightly rub it to see if it's adhered to the surface.
- If it has adhered, you're good to go! You can now prime the rest of the faceplate before painting it.
- If you're using a paint+primer spray paint (such as Rustoleum), you will not need to apply a primer coat.
Note: Please note that painting the faceplate will void our online store's 30-day return policy; however, painting does NOT affect our one-year hardware warranty.