Flair is the only Smart Vent company that offers a wired powered option for vents. You will never have to think about batteries ever again! You can power our vents with the industry-standard 24 VAC. You'll need a 24 VAC transformer.
To wire your Smart Vent for AC power, follow the steps found below (if you are uncomfortable, unable, or unsure how to wire your Smart Vents, please consult an electrician).
Note: use 20-22AWG wire plenum rated solid 2 conductor wire.
Instructions to Wire Flair Smart Vents
- Drill a hole in the boot or duct near the vent. You can drill this hole wherever it is convenient. However, the size of the hole should be large enough to fit a 20AWG Plenum Rated Solid (2 Conductor) wire.
- Slide the 20AWG Plenum Rated Solid (2 Conductor) wire through the hole and into the boot or duct.
- Pull enough wire through to reach the back of the Smart Vent. If you accidentally pull in more length than you need, you can trim it later.
IMPORTANT: Be careful to avoid stripping the insulation off the wire as you pull it through the hole, as this could lead to a short.
- With the wire in place, use high-quality Duct Tape or Mastic to seal the hole in the boot or duct.
- Strip the insulation at the end of the 20AWG Plenum Rated Solid (2 Conductor) wire, press it into the terminal block buttons, and insert each conductor into the 24 VAC port on the back side of the Smart Vent Vent (either wire can go in either hole, polarity does not matter).
- Ensure that the wire doesn’t interfere with the Vent’s louvre movement. If there is excessive wire in the boot or duct, trim the wire, and repeat Step 5.
IMPORTANT: Ensure that the two wires are fully separated and cannot short near the Smart Vent terminal block. In case of excess exposed wire at the vent terminal block, press the release buttons on the terminal block and pull the wires out. Trim exposed wire as needed and reinsert.
- Connect the other end of the wire to a 24VAC transformer or power supply.
Note: You will not need to wire to the ground pin/terminal if one is available.
- Continue with regular installation.
- Plug in or power your 24VAC power supply/transformer.
- Flair Smart Vents operate with very low power requirements and operate at different times. A 40VA (@24VAC) power supply/transformer will suffice for up to 15 Smart Vents.
- Beyond 15 Smart Vents, we recommended that you consider additional power supplies as the length of the wire runs may become very long.
- @24VAC, current is <1mA continuous, 50mA max.
- Grounding is not needed.
- We recommend wiring in parallel.
- Max length from transformer to Smart Vent should be 100 feet or less if using 20 AWG copper. If using aluminum or steel, please keep distances shorter.
Flair recommends this particular Elk 24VAC Transformer
If you are a professional builder, contractor or distributor, contact us for preferred pricing on transformers and other accessories.